Have You Tried New AssemblyTube on Your Phone or Tablet? by Sara
[April 22, 2022, 04:49:13 AM]

Updated AssemblyTube Database by Sara
[April 13, 2022, 08:14:44 AM]

Values Assembly - Tolerance: Natural Neighbours

• 1 Replies

Values Assembly - Tolerance: Natural Neighbours
« on: May 07, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »

This is the second of a series of values assemblies focusing on 'tolerance' this month. I used an assembly based on an idea already here for the introduction (http://www.barnabasinschools.org.uk/tolerancea-whole-school-assembly-outline/ ). This Assembly brings to gether some ideas on symbiosis..

1. I used http://naturesoundsfor.me/ to create a natural savannah soundscape for children as they came in. The presentation (attached) gives them an initial thinking question: Symbiosis - Do you know what that word means?

2. I suggested that I had a story to help them. With the sounds still playing I read: The Whistling Thorn by Helen Cowcher (often available as a Big Book in schools).

3. We discussed the relationship between the acacia bush and the ants who live on it and protect it from grazers. We used this as a definition of 'symbiosis' - apparently different creatures living together (ie being tolerant) and gaining a benefit from this relationship.

4. Ask the children to link the other pairs of creatures in symbiotic relationships. (or use your own examples). Oxpecker birds live on and around buffalo in the Savannah and rid them of ticks and parasites while their good eyesight provides early warning of approaching predators.

5. The Sunfish (Mola Mola) has a similar relationship with certain cleaner fish and (for the most difficult to dislodge parasites) seagulls and albatrosses. There is a short video clip explaining this relationship:

6. If you have time (or for a different assembly) tell the story of St Francis and the wolf of Gubbio. Francis saved a village from a ravening wolf by persuading them to feed him and 'tolerate' his presence - a sort of symbiosis in itself.

7. Reflection/Final 'So What?' Thought (putting the value into action):Think about how we can all thrive if we are tolerant.

Tolerance
Spoiler: images (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 02:59:25 PM by Sara »

Offline Sara

• Age Range?: Primary & Secondary
  • Want a Buddy?: no
Re: Tolerance (Values Assembly): Natural Neighbours
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 08:37:39 AM »
Another great assembly, full of ideas. Thank you culdrum.
If video not working click "report to moderator" & we'll fix it.

It's completely free to join and use Assemblytube

SimplePortal 2.3.8 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal