Activity Passports by Sara
[June 30, 2022, 01:44:22 PM]

National Plan for Music - Secondary Self Evaluation by Sara
[June 27, 2022, 07:30:36 PM]

National Plan for Music - Primary Self Evaluation by Sara
[June 27, 2022, 07:28:55 PM]

National Plan for Music Education by Sara
[June 27, 2022, 07:21:48 PM]

Values Assembly - Tolerance: How are you feeling?

• 2 Replies

Values Assembly - Tolerance: How are you feeling?
« on: May 21, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »
Another in a series of Tolerance Assemblies focusing on involving others including those with disabilities.

1. As children enter, show them a series of pictures of faces showing clear emotions. Use the question: How are they feeling? (example powerpoint attached).

2. Before you continue, suggest that this next clip will summarise some of the message of tolerance in today's assembly. Show http://www.values.com/inspirational-stories-tv-spots/84-The-Race . Ask the children to think in their minds (no need to share) what the 'So What' question might be at the end of the assembly.

3. Return to the emotion faces and take suggestions for each one. Reveal the answers.

4. Remind children how important it is for making friends and to be included that we can understand how others are feeling. Are there any people who find this much harder than we do?

5. At this point I would have talked sensitively about children with autism who may find understanding feelings in others particularly difficult (actually I didn't get the chance to, as the fire alarm went off...). I wanted to share how children at my previous school with a unit for children with autism had grown so tolerant of them and how inclusion had allowed them to participate widely in our activities. The highlight had been our football team who had included two of our pupils in an important league match despite the fact that their performance was not exactly premiere league. You might be able to draw on similar experiences or go straight on to...

6. Talk about people whose sensory disabilities make it hard to join in and understand feelings. You could tell the story of Helen Keller or use the following clip:

7. Perhaps as a reflection you could watch the clip in Section 2 again and ask the children to suggest the 'So what?' question (putting our value into action prompt). Our suggestion was: "Tolerance means accepting others whoever they are and understanding how they feel."

Hope you find this useful - next month's value is Responsibility. Grateful for any ideas?

Ross
( www.primaryvalues.wordress.com )

« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 05:18:41 PM by Sara »

Offline Sara

• Age Range?: Primary & Secondary
  • Want a Buddy?: no
Re: Tolerance (Values Assemblies): How are you feeling?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:56:38 PM »
Thanks Ross. Good luck with the new blogging site.

In response to your request for ideas on "Responsibility", here are some links
AssemblyTube Responsibility Ideas

These links are aimed at different age groups. A few thoughts for primary.

Referring to this list of links.

I like the second one down on litter:
There is a lot of litter left lying around.
Who drops it?
Whose responsibility is it to clear it up?
Is this what happens?

Tiny Worlds Bulldozer

It's your responsibility to clear up your litter.
Best of all, don't create it in the first place.
Let's live in a litter-free environment.  ;)

There are more videos in the link.
Tiny Worlds Truck
Tiny Worlds Submarine

For a story, there is the "Rock in the Road" story.
If you are talking about "Ground Rules" there is the "Despicable Me" link. Probably for older primary children. We need sensible rules. Then we all need to stick to them.
There are a few links on the list to songs that could be used.
Hope this helps.

It would be great to find a way to get more Assembly Leaders to add input and share their ideas. Thanks for your input.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 05:00:36 PM by Sara »
If video not working click "report to moderator" & we'll fix it.

Re: Tolerance (Values Assemblies): How are you feeling?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 03:31:04 PM »
Thanks - some great ideas.
Ross

It's completely free to join and use Assemblytube

SimplePortal 2.3.8 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal