Justice - False Rumours - Story

• 0 Replies

Offline Sara

• Age Range?: Primary & Secondary
  • Want a Buddy?: no
Justice - False Rumours - Story
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:50:12 AM »
VALUES:  Honesty; Justice

STORY:    Once upon a time, a man spread gossip and rumours that his neighbour was a thief. As a result, the police arrested the neighbour and took him to the police station for questioning. After being held in custody for a few days, the young man was found to be innocent, and was released. He decided, however, to sue his accuser for spreading  false rumours.

When the case came to court, the man said to the judge: “They were just stories. It was just for fun and my neighbour did not really suffer any harm”. The judge, before announcing his verdict, said to the man: “Write all the things you said about him on a piece of paper. Then cut the paper into many
small pieces and, on your way home, throw the pieces away on the road. I then want you back here in court tomorrow to hear my verdict.”

Next day in court, the judge said to the man: “Before I give my verdict, I want you to leave the court and go and pick up all the pieces of paper you threw away yesterday.” Astonished, the accused complained: “I can’t do that. The wind has scattered the pieces all over the place. I’ll never find them!”

“Precisely,” replied the judge. “Your mean, spiteful rumours have spread and damaged the good reputation of your neighbour in ways that one may never be able to fix. If you cannot speak well of someone, rather don’t say anything at all!” With that, the judge passed a heavy sentence on the man.

TEACHING POINT:

We are often tempted to gossip and spread rumours, but it is important to remember that hurtful words cannot be taken back once they have been said.

School Assembly Stories
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:25:28 PM by admin »
If video not working click "report to moderator" & we'll fix it.

It's completely free to join and use Assemblytube

SimplePortal 2.3.8 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal