[April 13, 2022, 08:14:44 AM]

Sharing - Stone Soup - Story

• 0 Replies

Offline Sara

• Age Range?: Primary & Secondary
  • Want a Buddy?: no
Sharing - Stone Soup - Story
« on: May 25, 2015, 08:29:33 AM »
Many years ago three soldiers, hungry and tired, came across a small village.

The villagers, suffering a poor harvest and many years of war, had learned to keep to themselves what little they had to eat. They complained to the soldiers about the hard times they were going through. The soldiers spoke quietly among themselves and the first soldier then turned to the village elders. "Your tired fields have left you nothing to share, so we will share what little we have: the secret of how to make soup from stones." The villagers were confused at such an idea but decided they would give it a try. A fire was lit and the largest pot in town was set upon it.

"Now this will be a fine soup - but a pinch of salt and some parsley would make it wonderful!" Said the second soldier. Up jumped a villager, crying "What luck! I've just remembered I have some!" And off she ran, returning with a bag of parsley and a turnip. As the kettle boiled on, the memory of the village improved: soon barley, carrots, beef and cream had found their way into the great pot, and a cask of wine was rolled into the square as all sat down to feast. They ate and danced and sang well into the night, refreshed by the feast and their new-found friends. In the morning the three soldiers awoke to find the entire village standing before them. At their feet lay a satchel of the village's best breads and cheese.

"You have given us the greatest of gifts: the secret of how to make soup from stones", said an elder, "and we shall never forget."

The third soldier turned to the crowd, and said: "There is no secret, but this is certain: it is only by sharing that we may make a feast". And off the soldiers wandered, down the road.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:56:07 PM by Sara »
If video not working click "report to moderator" & we'll fix it.

It's completely free to join and use Assemblytube

SimplePortal 2.3.8 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal